Nothing earth shaking to write about. I just want to say how much I love to read and how grateful I am for my eyesight that allows me to read. One of my favorite things to do is curl up on the couch or in bed, with a page turner, (and Larry!) It is just such a gift to be able to read.
Many, MANY years ago there was TV show called "The Twilight Zone." It was pretty creepy sometimes. I so vividly remember an episode called "Time Enough at Last."It starred an actor named Burgess Meredith who played a man with really thick glasses, basically blind without them. All he ever wanted to do was read, but never had enough time. He disliked people because they kept him from his books. He just wanted to be left alone to read. Anyway, when a bomb devastates his city, he is at first filled with despair because he is the only one left. But when he finds the library and realizes that he now has all the time in the world to read and no one to bother him, he is overjoyed! Then he breaks his glasses and cannot see to read. He falls to the steps of the library, weeping.

An ending like that never leaves you. It made me want to be always grateful for my blessings.
1 comment:
Wow, I've never seen that Twilight Zone episode...now I want to go find it!
I love to read too. Actually, I just went to book club last night, and I have a couple really, really great recommendations if you're interested. The one we read for last night which was a HUGE hit with everybody is called "These Is My Words" (yes, that's the title) by Nancy Turner...and the one we read the month before was really great too called "The Wednesday Letters" by Jason Wright.
And for those of us who do enjoy to read so much, a friend of mine was telling me about this great website--www.bookins.com--through which you can exchange books for only the cost of shipping, so you can send off books you're finished with and receive books you want to read...I haven't done it yet but she was telling us last night all about it and how great it is and how quickly she's already received some of the books on her list. Sounds fantastic to me! Next best thing to a library, which I also love so much. : )
Post a Comment