Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I nearly joined the ranks of the dearly departed

Monday, I was zipping down 390, going about 65mph in the middle lane. A slowpoke was crawling along in the right lane. Someone in a huge white van decided to pass the slowpoke, by switching lanes. Allofasudden I see this white thing in my windshield and I realize I am going to get creamed. So I swerved sharply to the left, never having time to look to see if anyone was next to me. You know that song, "Jesus Take the Wheel?" I think He did. I lost control and fishtailed like I was on ice. I don't know what prevented me from flipping over because the car was rockin' and rollin'. And nobody was around me so I didn't hit anyone.

What surprises me was the extent of my anger. I murmured a prayer of thanksgiving which helped, but if I had been able, I would have stopped both vehicles, slammed on his window and screamed at the driver, "Are you freakin' nuts?" I mean, I was shaking, my heart was pounding and I wanted to cry. What if someone had been next to me? I saw how easy it is to get killed while driving.

The driver of the van slowed way down. I could see him in my rearview mirror. He was probably really ashamed and maybe as scared as I was. Who knows. 

I'm alive.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Wow, scary! So glad you're okay- and you're right; it takes something like that to remember how fragile we are.