Thursday, August 28, 2008

Update on the sugar thing

Okay so I made this goal for myself way back in March to quit eating desserts and stay away from sugar and sugar substitutes.  Here is the progress report -

It's working!!!

It's been easier than I thought. Once I made the commitment, it was almost like when we joined the church. No more coffee? Fine. No alcohol? No problem. So I looked at sweets as just something I don't do anymore. But the cruise to Alaska posed a problem for me. Was I going to look at it like I was an addict and not eat anything sweet? Or was I going to let myself have a treat occasionally? So as I fussed and stewed over it, Larry one day said to me, "Why don't you just eat?" OH! Imagine that.

So the vacation - I found it was hard to resist my favorite dessert on the ship. But a little bit was enough. Also one day at the pool I was really wanting some ice cream. So I got a small cone and was happy. Unfortunately, it was easy to let go and eat the sweets though, once I got started. Much harder to eat wisely....

The good news is that once I got home, it was easy again to get back on track. I did have some ice cream the other night, but had WAAAAY too much and my stomach rebelled. I felt sick for a few hours.

One thing I learned from all this is that if the food doesn't taste good enough, I don't want it. For instance, Hershey kisses are fine, but not good enough. If I'm going to eat chocolate, give me Lindt or Dove or Cadbury. Something I REALLY like.

So that's the report. I feel successful!


1 comment:

Amberly said...

Good for you! I'm not sure I possess the will power to do that! I can however, relate to the quality issue... if I'm gonna put sugar (particularly chocolate) into my body, it had better be GOOD sugar. :-)