Thursday, August 7, 2008

Skagway - my favorite little town

Although it was another cloudy day, it wasn't raining!!! Here we had docked and were waiting to begin our exploration of Skagway and take the White Pass and Yukon Railway. We had a long walk into town but it was pleasantly chilly, not freezing and not RAINING!



Skagway was like right out of Gunsmoke. Wooden sidewalks and everything. Even the train ran through town. There was something special about that little town that just touched my heart. I don't know what it was, I just loved it. And of course, that's the place where we had the least amount of time before we boarded the train. AAAGGGHHH!!  Guess I have to go back.


It doesn't look like I'm freezing here but I am. Freezing but happy. It got cold after such a nice morning. That's three layers I'm wearing. It's a wonder I could even put my arms by my side. I felt like the little kid in The Christmas Story movie who can barely move, he's so bundled up.


So we boarded this great train that took us nearly up to the Yukon. The ride was phenomenal. Our ship is docked somewhere in that body of water. We kind of followed the route the gold miners used to get up in the mountains. See, Skagway was where the Klondike Gold Rush started. Don't ask me how those guys got up those mountains and over the rivers with MULES. I would have fallen off a mountain and died for sure. 

1 comment:

Amberly said...

Hi Mary Ann! Thanks for sharing your blog with me! How long ago were you in Alaska? Is it really that cold in the middle of summer? I'm looking forward to your next visit.