I went on this trip with a doula friend, Kara. We flew into Anchorage, spent the night there and then took a shuttle to Whittier, were we would board our ship, the Carnival Spirit.

This is the Turnagain Arm, the first beauty we experienced on our way from Anchorage to Whittier. It's at sea level and these mountains are about 5,000 feet. This was the epicenter of the earthquake that hit Anchorage on Good Friday, 1964. It registered a 9.2 and caused the land I was taking this picture from to sink nine feet.
This was our first morning. I woke up at 5:30, ran up to an upper deck to see what was out there and saw this breathtaking vision. We were in the College Fjord, surrounded by mountains, glaciers (which are blue) and icebergs. It was so lovely I cried.

This is one of the glaciers. I forget the name of it. Maybe the Bryn Mawr? All the glaciers in this fjord are named after colleges.
Okay so this is one of those photos that will make you laugh. You have probably NEVER seen me without my glasses and with mud on my face on a ship in Alaska with BRACES so here you are. I am SO glad this blog is now private! Actually, we were taking a class at the ship's spa about facials. All the ladies in the class were slapping stuff on their faces. It was hilarious.

So that was our first day or so. Next stop, Sitka!
1 comment:
How very fun. I'd love to do that some day.
Post a Comment