My friend Sonnia sent me this little angel bear today. Her name is Celeste because she is a heavenly bear. What a happy surprise!
So the story goes like this:
We arrive at Unity Park Ridge Hospital Thursday morning at 8:15. They give Larry a pager (!) and tell him to wait while they get me ready. I get asked a bunch of questions, change my clothes, get an icky IV, and wait. The nurse and I talk about birth. Larry comes back in and we wait together. And wait. Finally, the doctor comes in, marks my right shoulder as the one to do, shows me his own scar from the same surgery he had and told me he would do a better job than his doctor did! The anesthesiologist comes in, gives me "something to relax" and off we go to the operating room. The very last thing I remember is climbing from the wheely table to the operating table. The next thing I know, another nurse is saying, "Mary Ann, wake up. Your surgery is over."
WHAT??
She asks me on a scale of one to ten with ten being the worse pain I can imagine, how I would rate my pain. I said, "one." She said she never hears that. What was ten times worse than pain was feeling so dang sick. Curses on you Vicodin (which I think the nurse put in the IV but I don't know) and anesthesia.
Then Larry comes in. And we wait some more until I feel like I can get up and move like a human being. But of course, I throw up.
The doctor comes in and says he was able to do arthroscopic surgery and not slice me open. There are three or four small holes and I don't think there are any stitches. Just steri-strips. He says he shaved off some thickened clavicle bone, and repaired a rotator cuff tear.
Finally....
I do feel semi-human and get to go home.
But that was just the beginning of several hours of feeling like dog do-do. About 10pm all the junk seems to be out of my system and I sleep in the chair. Larry sleeps on the couch. The night is a little fitful, but really no pain until about 6am and it's still only about a one or two. I have no idea if my pain tolerance is amazing or if it really doesn't hurt much.
Larry says what he remembers most about Thursday was that he never saw me throw up so much. Great......
So I slept Friday on and off, ate a little bit and read "Off Season" by Anne Rivers Siddons. I give it a 9.
Last night I slept in bed with no problem until the cat stepped on my shoulder this morning at 6:30!
After a mini shower this morning with Larry's help, I finally feel semi-clean. He washed my hair, too. That Larry, what a guy. He also went and bought me a carrot birthday cake and a lemon roll and a chocolate roll. Tomorrow I am going to eat cake!!!
Today is okay. I have almost no pain. It's achy, but nothing like I thought it would be. Ibubrofen has done it for me. I felt just a little sick today and lots tired but definitely getting better. My shoulder itches and twitches.
Updates to follow but I promise not to mention the barf bucket again. Man.
The end.
2 comments:
Hooray for not much pain! I hope it stays that way for you! We love you and have thinking about you. what a cute bear!
Yikes! It sounds like the surgery went well, so that's a blessing, but no fun feeling so sick!
Post a Comment