Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Family Picture Wednesday

Back to my mother's side of the family!

This is my beautiful great-grandmother Serafina Graziano. I don't remember too much about her as she died when I was a child. I do know she was an accomplished seamstress. But.....





......I visited her hometown of Termini Imerese in Sicily and walked the street where she grew up. It was one of the best parts of my trip. Her hometown is on the northern coast of Sicily and is just lovely. This is Via Stenio, her street.....


.....and this is a picture that I took of her town  in 2006.




These folk are her parents, my great-great-grandparents. On the left is Angelina Filippello and her husband is on the right, Salvatore Graziano. See how one of his eyes is kind of droopy? My eye tends to do the same thing!




This is my great-grandfather Gaetano Metildi. He was born in Celano, Italy. The only thing I remember about him was that he gave lots of kisses!




These are his parents, my great-great grandparents, Cecilia Rosati and Luigi Metildi. Look at how tiny her waist was!  
The story I learned about Luigi is very cool. As I was researching his birth, I found that he had been abandoned in the town square as a newborn just a few days old, and was found there one morning. My great-great-great-grandparents adopted him a couple of years later. Larry likes to tease me that he was from Romanian gypsies and I'm not Italian at all! I have wondered if the couple who adopted him might have really been his birth parents. Great-greatgrandpa died when a big earthquake hit his town in 1915.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tell me why you think the couple who adopted him would have abandoned him and then adopted him? Would there be some financial gain, or do you think they felt guilty and changed their mind and this was the way to save face? Interesting thought.