I just found the most wonderful idea from Ardeth Kapp. She was the Young Women General President during some of the years I served in Young Women and is a HUGE inspiration to me.
See, with my weeping and wailing about not having children and being a new member of the church etc...etc...I learned that she didn't have children either and LIVED to TELL about it!
Anyway, I just read that when children come to her home, she reads them a story, they sign her guest book (how cute is that?!), she takes their picture and then they get a treat from the Treat Basket.
I SO want to do that. I think I will.
What stories?
What kind of treats?
And I have to find a guest book that doesn't look like it belongs at a wedding reception.
This is going to be FUN!
LARRY - he is fine, just a little blue. I think it has to do with not feeling needed at a job any longer. And being 64 is a little traumatic. We need a VACATION!!
2 comments:
I have a suggestion for stories if you like... We just recently discovered this children's book author and LOVE her to death. All her books are SO funny and short and to the point--her name is Jan Thomas and this is one of her books that we love:
Rhyming Dust Bunnies
We also have "The Doghouse" and have checked out a couple others from the library. SO funny. I know my kids would think you were the coolest ever to read stories like that to them and give them treats and take their photos and let them sign your guest book. : )
This idea is he most fantastic idea! For books I recommend these two for sure: "Trouble at the dinosaur cafe" by Brian Moses (about $14 on Amazon) and "The Cheese" by Margie Palatini ($12 on Amazon - hardcover, $5.50 over Schoolastic - softcover) Both of these books are funny, wonderfully captivating illustrated and make my children laugh every time we read them. And we read them both a lot. A whole lot! I recommend them because even though we wear the books out, I, as an adult, do not tire of reading them, as it is the case with way too many books for kids.
As for the candy, well, I would recommend YummyEarth Organic Lollipops. All natural, nothing artificial at all in them, and about the size of a quarter. One serving size is 3 lollipops. 150 count container for $10 at Amazon.
As for a guest book, Michael's has lots to chose from that are colorful and don't look like wedding books. Or perhaps have a box of pencils and plain index cards handy and then slip them into one of those photo albums that hold 300 pictures? Along with the picture of the child sitting by you, listening and licking and feeling oh so special for all the attention they are getting?
MaryAnn, you are so warm and wonderful! If you and Larry ever need a pair of adoptive grand daughters, may I volunteer my two? They are "grandparent starved" as it is, it would be the perfect fit!
All the Best, and keep us updated how your little house guests take to this!
Hugs to you!
Post a Comment