Thursday, November 22, 2007

One of my favorite days

I love Thanksgiving. It brings back lots of memories of good times with family, not to mention that dinner includes my all time favorite foods. If I had to choose a last meal it would be Thanksgiving dinner. So the turkey and dressing are in the oven, the pie is cooling, the cranberry sauces are made, the squash just needs to be warmed up and now I have to peel potatoes. Oh yes and Larry wants peas and mushrooms. It's another good family dish. You saute some sliced onion with a garlic clove in a little olive oil, then add a can of peas with the juice and a can of mushrooms drained. Season with salt and pepper and there you have it.

The baby I've been waiting for has not yet arrived. Mother and baby are fine, baby just needs to grow a little more.

The sad part of the day is that I just found out that my cousin who is just 6 weeks older than me has ovarian cancer. When I went to see her she held my hand and said, "Mare, am I going to be okay?" I told her yes she would, that I had a good feeling about it. She smiled and said, "I do too." Now all we can do is pray.

Some things about today -
The cat is sleeping in the chair next to me snoring away.
It is pouring rain out.
The Thanksgiving flag outside on the porch is whipping in the wind.
The rain is supposed to turn to snow this afternoon.
I'm going to visit my cousin and aunt a little later on.
Larry has a cough and cold.
The turkey smells delicious!!
I'll take the carcass later and make turkey soup.

One of the craziest things I ever did -------
Last year I went to strain the turkey soup to get rid of the bones and stuff. I pulled out my colander, set it in the sink, took the big pot full of soup and began to pour it into the colander. And there went all my beautiful soup RIGHT DOWN THE DRAIN!!!!! I had forgotten to put a BOWL underneath the colander!!!! I started yelling and Larry came running and there I was with a strainer full of bones and no soup. Goodbye soup.

This year I will remember the bowl.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

hello mary ann,

this is debbie morey, i found you off of my sister kathys site. that is so exciting that you have a blog, they are the best way to keep in touch with people. it looks like you guys are happy and loving life, you are adorable.

Carol said...

Oh my goodness...that story about pouring your soup down the drain had me laughing so hard--I would totally have done the same thing!