Monday, December 3, 2007

Fire and Ice

Today has been WINDY and cold, with some lake effect snow. I had a bunch of errands to run this morning so I wanted to get them all done before it got too bad out. So I did! Went to Target, got real pretty new sheers at Country Curtains, went to Wegmans and made it home before the minor blizzard hit. BUT, I was on call for the Red Cross from 4PM to 10PM and sure enough, there was a fire I had to respond to. 390South was just awful!!! I could barely see to drive. The roads weren't salted OR plowed and it took me way too long to get to the chapter. When the rest of team arrived, it took us 45 minutes to drive 4 miles in the truck to get to the fire. Thankfully it wasn't a bad one, mostly smoke damage.

Here is a public service message from your friendly Red Cross volunteer (Me!!)- PLEASE be careful when you burn candles in your home. Most house fires (in the winter) are from candles. Every time I come home from responding, I think about what the most important things in the house are that I would hate to lose and then try to think of ways to protect and save them. Photos, pictures, genealogy, scrapbooks; all that stuff could be lost so quickly. Even little fires cause a lot of smoke damage and the firefighters, while they really try to save your stuff, do make a mess. So be aware and be careful!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Hi Mary Ann,
This is Wendy from national headquarters. Thanks for being a volunteer, for braving the wind and cold, and for helping your readers prevent home fires.

If you ever want to contribute to the Red Cross blog, please let me know!
www.redcrosschat.org

A.Pandina said...

That is really good information, I know that our important documents and picutures aren't properly cared for. We have intended to buy a fireproof safe, now is as good a time as any to buy one.

Kristine said...

every time i hear about a house fire i think i need to back up all my important documents, pictures and scrapbooks. thanks for another reminder. i need it. enjoy the nice cold ra-cha-cha winter for me.